Nothing beats coming home to dinner ready in the crock pot after a long day at work. This fall weather is making me want warm meals, soups, and long sleeves so bad! My mother in law made this meal and I fell in love with Dr. Pepper Chipotle Shredded Pork. I’m not quite sure that it is “healthy” per se… but I count it as a “protein” dinner. At least that is what I tell myself.
We will eat this just as it is as shredded pork, add corn tortillas for shredded pork tacos with cilantro, or with whole wheat slider buns for a shredded pork sandwich.
Here is the original Pioneer Woman “Spicy Dr. Pepper Shredded Pork” recipe. Check out her entire website. I have not “met” a Pioneer Woman recipe I have not liked yet.
My crock pot version… prepare to be amazed… put all of the ingredients into a crock pot instead of the oven. Ta-Da!! 🙂 Cook on low all day. I cook mine from 7am-4pm. Shred the pork with 2 forks and serve.
- 1 Onion- cut in large slices
- 1 whole Pork Shoulder – 3-5lbs.
- Salt And Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 can (11 Ounce) Chipotle Peppers In Adobo Sauce (dump in the sauce as well)
- 1.25 liter bottle of Dr. Pepper, (2 cans of DP with 5-7 lbs of Pork)
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar