Check out one of my favorite running blogs Sweat Once A Day and her post How to Take an Ice Bath. She ran her first Ironman this summer and her goal is to run a marathon in every state. This article taught me everything I know and I got all my ideas from her.
Her 6 steps that I have followed to the T:
- Buy the ice the night before or carry cash to buy it on your way home from your run
- Fill the tub with cold water and then slowly add the ice (while you are in it)
- Layer up (I love my Aggie sweatshirt here… you can wear clothes!)
- Drink something hot while in the tub (hot tea or Honey Milk)
- Entertain yourself
- Think about how you feel when you don’t take one
People must think I am crazy when I call my husband after a long run and ask him to start the cold bath. The best is when he already has the bath ready when I come home. Nothing like an ice bath to help with recovery, decreaese muscle inflammation, and incease blood flow.