Hi Hat Cupcakes
One of my favorite things that my husband and I do together is bake cupcakes. (Shhh… Don’t tell his Mossy Oak camo friends.)
These little beauties are made with devil’s food cake, vanilla meringue frosting, and then dipped in chocolate to create a chocolate shell. I saw this recipe and step-by-step photos on the Bakerella Blog. The recipe actually came from the book Cupcakes! by Elinor Klivans. I simplified this recipe that Martha Stewart did from the Cupcakes! book because I am not a domestic diva, I’m a runner. Martha had this recipe in 10 steps, are you kidding me?! Who has time for 10 step cupcakes. Keep it simple.
I bought a Devil’s food cake box (shh… don’t tell Martha!)
Vanilla Meringue Frosting:
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract (I didn’t have almond so I added more vanilla)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used mini)
- 2-3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Make the Devil’s food cake box according to the directions, cool cupcakes before frosting
- Vanilla Meringue Frosting: In a large heatproof (Pyrex) bowl, combine sugar, 1/4 cup water, egg whites, and cream of tartar. Using a handheld electric mixer, beat on high speed until foamy, about 1 minute. Set bowl over a pan of barely simmering water. Beat on high speed until frosting forms stiff peaks, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla and almond extracts, and beat for 2 minutes more until frosting thickens. (This was all Joe’s job, strong arms are needed to make meringue for 15 mins!)
- Put the meringue frosting in ziplocs and cut the corner off and pipe on top of cooled cupcakes. Place in the refrigerator. Ok, so from the blogs I read it said that you can dip these after the meringue got stiff in the refrigerator. We went out to eat and then dipped these cupcakes in the next morning after leaving them in the fridge all night.
- Prepare the chocolate coating: Combine chocolate and oil in a medium heat-proof Pyrex bowl set over a medium saucepan of barely simmering water; stir until melted and smooth. Transfer to a small bowl/cup, and dip the cupcakes. I gently twirled the cupcakes to remove all the excess chocolate. Serve chills and keep in the fridge until you are ready to eat them. (meringue = eggs)
We just got a new, fancy camera for Christmas! Joe did the photography. Have fun, make treats, and keep running!