Note: This recipe uses pureed butternut squash… learn how to puree veggies here
- Hoagie buns
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup minced carrots or carrot puree
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (homemade is best)
- 1 clove garlic or sprinkle granulated garlic powder
- 1 cup butternut squash puree
- 26 oz whole tomatoes with juice
- 1/2 cup water
- sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top
- In a large bowl, mix the turkey, breadcrumbs, butternut squash puree, garlic, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp black pepper until well combined. Shap the mixture into 1″ meatballs and place on a sheet of waxed paper or aluminum foil.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set it over high heat. When the skillet is hot, add the olive oil and then the meatballs and brown for 4 to 5 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Add the pureed tomatoes, water, carrot puree (if using), garlic powder, cayenne, and the remainin 1/2 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the meatballs are no longer pink in the center.
- Split and Broil Hoogie buns in oven with out with out the meatballs inside. Sprinkle with mozz cheese.