My house is full of sick boys and nothing sounds better than the best soup ever! I had all of these ingredients on hand and love the nutty, robust, healing aspect of this soup. FYI: Kale is full of antioxidant vitamins A, C, K, fiber, potassium, magnesium, iron, copper, and anti-inflammatory properties that make this broccoli-family food… a superstar!
- bag of matchstick shredded carrots (saves so much time!)
- 1/2 of a rotisserie chicken, shredded
- Celery- 4 stalks, chopped
- 1/2 onion- chopped
- 2 gloves of garlic- chopped
- 1 cup of uncooked wild rice-1 cup water- cook in rice cooker
- 2 qts (2 boxes) of chicken broth
- 3 stalks of kale- no ribs, chop into strips
- 1 lemon or lemon juice
- Spices: 1 tsp of each: cinnamon, nutmeg, bay leaves, ground ginger… salt and pepper to taste
- Start with Rice: cook rice in steamer/rice cooker while you do the other steps
- Saute: carrots, celery, onion, garlic. You can use olive oil if you would like for 10 mins until soft but not cooked to death. 🙂
- Add: boxes of chicken broth, rotisserie chicken, and all the spices listed. Bring to boil, then let simmer for 10 mins.
- When soup ingredients are to your desired softness and texture, add the lemon juice and chopped kale, simmer for 3 more minutes.
- Spoon rice in the bottom of your soup bowl, ladle your soup over the rice…done!
- Tip: keep the wild rice separate from the soup because it will turn your pretty soup brown from the wild rice. It will still taste awesome, just look not-so-awesome.
This goes great with homemade Spunky Beer Bread.